Thursday, March 12, 2009

Backup My Hard Drive

* I can use a thumb drive (also known as a USB Drive) to back up my hard drive. It's simple and convenient. It plugs right into your computer's USB port and becomes a "removal data drive" where you can save your files to. And you can carry it with you, wherever you go. It can fit on your keychain, in your pocket, in your purse, your book bag, or your briefcase. These can store a few dozen gigabytes at a time.
* I can use an external hard drive to backup my drive. It operates using USB, just like a hard drive, except it's bigger and bulkier, taking up more space. It can store several hundred gigabytes, however. It's not as convenient to carry with you, but it can get the job done as well.
* I can backup my hard drive onto recordable or even rewritable DVD disks. You can't store as much data on these as you can on USB drives, but it's a great way to create a permanent, or semi-permanent archive of your data for easy and convenient storage. Look for these to get phased out in the future, however.
* I can do it online via the Internet, to a remote data backup management facility. I just need to install a simple backup agent on my machine, and it takes care of the rest. It silently works in the background, backing up my files in real-time, 24 hours a day, to the remote backup site. And whenever I need to access my data, I can retrieve it from a virtual network drive that is created in "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer".

0 comments:

Post a Comment